TN DGP`s appointment leaves Centre in a fix
New Delhi: The Tamil Nadu government`s decision to give a two-year extension to K Ramanujam, who was to retire as state police chief on November 30, has caught the Union Home Ministry off guard.
According to sources in the ministry, no prior consultations were held with the Centre in this regard.
The state order was unique and that every option needed to be weighed before taking any decision, they said.
Ramanujam, a 1978 batch IPS officer from the cadre, was appointed as the DGP last month after which the state government informed the Centre about its decision and sought a post-facto approval for the same.
According to rules, Ramanujam was to retire on November 30.
IPS Service rules mandate a state government to extend services of any officer by a period of three months and later by a similar period but with the approval of the Union Home Ministry which is the cadre-controlling authority.
His appointment barely days ahead of his retirement to the top post assumes significance as he could become the first DGP anywhere in the country to get the benefit of the Supreme Court ruling in Prakash Singh case on police reforms.
In the Prakash Singh Vs The Union of India, the Supreme Court issued a ruling pertaining to the tenure and appointment of police officials.
The apex court had said the state government should ensure that the "DGP is appointed through a merit-based, transparent process and enjoys a minimum tenure of two years".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report