TN: DMDK MLA held on land grabbing charges
Chennai: An MLA of actor Vijaykant led DMDK in Tamil Nadu was Wednesday arrested on the charge of land grabbing, in the first case of party principal opposition party legislator facing the heat of AIADMK Government`s crackdown on land grabbing that has landed several DMK leaders in jail.
M Arun Subramanian, representing Tirutanni in the Assembly, was arrested from his house in the town in neighbouring Tiruvallur District on a complaint that he had encroached on a public road in his constituency, police said.
He was produced before Judicial First Class Magistrate Gopinath who remanded him to judicial custody till August 1.
Alleging "political vendetta" behind the "sudden" arrest of his party MLA, Vijaykant in a statement accused police of foisting a "false case".
The Jayalalithaa government was taking action against people they do not like. Now, DMDK is also their target," Vijaykant, a former ally of Jayalalithaa, said.
Since coming to power in May last year, the Jayalalithaa Government had launched a crackdown on land grabbings and arrested several former DMK Ministers and MLAs, prompting the party to stage a fill the jail protest condemning the `political vendetta` unleashed on its leaders and workers.
DMDK was an ally of AIADMK in the last assembly elections but the relationship between the two parties soured later leading to snapping of ties with Jayalalithaa saying she regretted for having forged the alliance.
Police said Subramanian was arrested following a complaint by Municipal officials that he had encroached a public road near his land and built a compound wall six months ago blocking the thoroughfare to the public residing in the area.
A group of Irula community members, a Scheduled Tribe, had approached the Municipal authorities complaining that their access to road had been blocked by the MLA and sought action against him.
They also alleged that the MLA abused them by calling their caste name, police said, adding a case under SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act was also registered against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed