TN: DMDK MLA held on land grabbing charges
Chennai: An MLA of actor Vijaykant led DMDK in Tamil Nadu was Wednesday arrested on the charge of land grabbing, in the first case of party principal opposition party legislator facing the heat of AIADMK Government`s crackdown on land grabbing that has landed several DMK leaders in jail.
M Arun Subramanian, representing Tirutanni in the Assembly, was arrested from his house in the town in neighbouring Tiruvallur District on a complaint that he had encroached on a public road in his constituency, police said.
He was produced before Judicial First Class Magistrate Gopinath who remanded him to judicial custody till August 1.
Alleging "political vendetta" behind the "sudden" arrest of his party MLA, Vijaykant in a statement accused police of foisting a "false case".
The Jayalalithaa government was taking action against people they do not like. Now, DMDK is also their target," Vijaykant, a former ally of Jayalalithaa, said.
Since coming to power in May last year, the Jayalalithaa Government had launched a crackdown on land grabbings and arrested several former DMK Ministers and MLAs, prompting the party to stage a fill the jail protest condemning the `political vendetta` unleashed on its leaders and workers.
DMDK was an ally of AIADMK in the last assembly elections but the relationship between the two parties soured later leading to snapping of ties with Jayalalithaa saying she regretted for having forged the alliance.
Police said Subramanian was arrested following a complaint by Municipal officials that he had encroached a public road near his land and built a compound wall six months ago blocking the thoroughfare to the public residing in the area.
A group of Irula community members, a Scheduled Tribe, had approached the Municipal authorities complaining that their access to road had been blocked by the MLA and sought action against him.
They also alleged that the MLA abused them by calling their caste name, police said, adding a case under SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act was also registered against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day