TN enacting strict law to prevent misuse of acid
Chennai: Tamil Nadu government today told the Madras High Court that it was in the process of enacting a strict law to regulate the sale and use of acid and prevent its misuse.
Special Secretary to the government Shambhu Kallolikar, in her counter affidavit to a petition seeking a ban on unlicensed over-the-counter sale of acid, said the proposed legislation would also provide provisions for severe punishment for misuse of acids.
She submitted regulation of acids would be dealt under the Poisons Act until the enactment of the legislation.
Observing that such acid attacks cause psychological damage apart from obvious physical injuries, she said district social welfare officers will take suo moto cognisance of such incidents and provide immediate counselling for the victims.
A district-level committee would be formed with the Joint Director (Health), which would take suo moto cognisance of the incidents of acid attacks, counsel and provide immediate social, psychological and economic support to the victim and her family, she said.
The court had in February issued a notice to the Centre and the state government on the petition filed in the backdrop of recent death of two young women in acid attacks in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Watch: This guy convinces girls to get pictures clicked with him – know how
- Say goodbye to your acidity woes with these ten simple tips!