TN fishermen attacked at midsea
Nagapattinam (TN): A group of 12 fishermen from Tamil Nadu today alleged they were attacked with empty liquor bottles by Sri Lankan Naval personnel off Kodiakarai coast in the district damaging their fishing nets, in a fresh incident since last week`s killing of a fisherman.
The fishermen of Arucottuthurai near Vedaranyam alleged that when they were fishing off Kodiakarai coast, the Sri Lankan Navy personnel onboard a fast craft surrounded their boats and threw empty liquor bottles at them.
After hurling the bottles for a few minutes, they went away, Harichandran, one of the 12 fishermen, said.
Though no one was injured, some fishing nets were damaged in the incident. The fishermen immediately returned to the shore, he said.
The incident comes close on the heels of the killing of a fisherman from Jegadapattinam on January 12 in alleged firing by Sri Lankan Naval personnel. India had lodged a strong protest with Sri Lanka over the attack.
However, Sri Lanka had denied involvement of its Navy in the killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'