TN fishermen attacked at midsea
Nagapattinam (TN): A group of 12 fishermen from Tamil Nadu today alleged they were attacked with empty liquor bottles by Sri Lankan Naval personnel off Kodiakarai coast in the district damaging their fishing nets, in a fresh incident since last week`s killing of a fisherman.
The fishermen of Arucottuthurai near Vedaranyam alleged that when they were fishing off Kodiakarai coast, the Sri Lankan Navy personnel onboard a fast craft surrounded their boats and threw empty liquor bottles at them.
After hurling the bottles for a few minutes, they went away, Harichandran, one of the 12 fishermen, said.
Though no one was injured, some fishing nets were damaged in the incident. The fishermen immediately returned to the shore, he said.
The incident comes close on the heels of the killing of a fisherman from Jegadapattinam on January 12 in alleged firing by Sri Lankan Naval personnel. India had lodged a strong protest with Sri Lanka over the attack.
However, Sri Lanka had denied involvement of its Navy in the killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Narshingh Yadav doping scandal: ‘Intruder’ who may have spiked wrestler's food identified?
- IMF says Egypt seeking financial support
- Pacer Kagiso Rabada scoops six South African awards
- French Open champ Garbine Muguruza withdraws from Montreal
- Olympics 2016: More Russians banned in mounting Rio toll