TN fishermen attacked at midsea
Nagapattinam (TN): A group of 12 fishermen from Tamil Nadu today alleged they were attacked with empty liquor bottles by Sri Lankan Naval personnel off Kodiakarai coast in the district damaging their fishing nets, in a fresh incident since last week`s killing of a fisherman.
The fishermen of Arucottuthurai near Vedaranyam alleged that when they were fishing off Kodiakarai coast, the Sri Lankan Navy personnel onboard a fast craft surrounded their boats and threw empty liquor bottles at them.
After hurling the bottles for a few minutes, they went away, Harichandran, one of the 12 fishermen, said.
Though no one was injured, some fishing nets were damaged in the incident. The fishermen immediately returned to the shore, he said.
The incident comes close on the heels of the killing of a fisherman from Jegadapattinam on January 12 in alleged firing by Sri Lankan Naval personnel. India had lodged a strong protest with Sri Lanka over the attack.
However, Sri Lanka had denied involvement of its Navy in the killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- One killed, 30 wounded by explosions in southern Thailand – police
- Iraq summons its envoy to Portugal over teenager assault
- Cara Delevingne, Amber Heard turned away from strip club
- Obama promises aid to help Louisiana fully recover from flooding
- US investigating non-travel Zika case in new area in Florida