TN fishermen attacked at midsea
Nagapattinam (TN): A group of 12 fishermen from Tamil Nadu today alleged they were attacked with empty liquor bottles by Sri Lankan Naval personnel off Kodiakarai coast in the district damaging their fishing nets, in a fresh incident since last week`s killing of a fisherman.
The fishermen of Arucottuthurai near Vedaranyam alleged that when they were fishing off Kodiakarai coast, the Sri Lankan Navy personnel onboard a fast craft surrounded their boats and threw empty liquor bottles at them.
After hurling the bottles for a few minutes, they went away, Harichandran, one of the 12 fishermen, said.
Though no one was injured, some fishing nets were damaged in the incident. The fishermen immediately returned to the shore, he said.
The incident comes close on the heels of the killing of a fisherman from Jegadapattinam on January 12 in alleged firing by Sri Lankan Naval personnel. India had lodged a strong protest with Sri Lanka over the attack.
However, Sri Lanka had denied involvement of its Navy in the killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees