TN fishermen attacked at midsea
Nagapattinam (TN): A group of 12 fishermen from Tamil Nadu today alleged they were attacked with empty liquor bottles by Sri Lankan Naval personnel off Kodiakarai coast in the district damaging their fishing nets, in a fresh incident since last week`s killing of a fisherman.
The fishermen of Arucottuthurai near Vedaranyam alleged that when they were fishing off Kodiakarai coast, the Sri Lankan Navy personnel onboard a fast craft surrounded their boats and threw empty liquor bottles at them.
After hurling the bottles for a few minutes, they went away, Harichandran, one of the 12 fishermen, said.
Though no one was injured, some fishing nets were damaged in the incident. The fishermen immediately returned to the shore, he said.
The incident comes close on the heels of the killing of a fisherman from Jegadapattinam on January 12 in alleged firing by Sri Lankan Naval personnel. India had lodged a strong protest with Sri Lanka over the attack.
However, Sri Lanka had denied involvement of its Navy in the killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened