TN fishermen attacked by Lankan Navy
Nagapattinam: In yet another incident, Sri Lankan Navy allegedly attacked some fishermen off Kodiakarai coast and damaged a boat, fisheries department officials said on Thursday.
The officials said eight fishermen of Arucottuthurai in Vedaranyam in the district complained that the Lankan Navy personnel attacked them last night.
Quoting the fishermen, they said 120 fishermen put to sea in 25 boats yesterday morning and when they were fishing off Kodiakarai in the night, Sri Lankan navy reportedly surrounded two of the boats. The Naval personnel jumped into the boats and allegedly attacked them with iron rods. One boat suffered damage, sources said.
The fishermen returned to the shore this morning and lodged a complaint with fisheries department officials.
On September one,28 fishermen from Akkaraipettai village near Nagapattinam were detained by Lankan Naval personnel on the charge of entering the island waters in the Palk Strait but let-off after a stern warning.
In another incident on August 19, eight fishermen of Vedaranyam village in the district were injured in an attack allegedly by Sri Lankan naval personnel in mid-sea off Arukattuthurai.
Incidents of Tamil Nadu fishermen being "attacked" and detained by Lankan naval personnel have been reported in recent months and the state government had been demanding that the Centre take up the issue strongly with the neighbouring country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick