TN fishermen attacked by Lankan Navy
Nagapattinam: In yet another incident, Sri Lankan Navy allegedly attacked some fishermen off Kodiakarai coast and damaged a boat, fisheries department officials said on Thursday.
The officials said eight fishermen of Arucottuthurai in Vedaranyam in the district complained that the Lankan Navy personnel attacked them last night.
Quoting the fishermen, they said 120 fishermen put to sea in 25 boats yesterday morning and when they were fishing off Kodiakarai in the night, Sri Lankan navy reportedly surrounded two of the boats. The Naval personnel jumped into the boats and allegedly attacked them with iron rods. One boat suffered damage, sources said.
The fishermen returned to the shore this morning and lodged a complaint with fisheries department officials.
On September one,28 fishermen from Akkaraipettai village near Nagapattinam were detained by Lankan Naval personnel on the charge of entering the island waters in the Palk Strait but let-off after a stern warning.
In another incident on August 19, eight fishermen of Vedaranyam village in the district were injured in an attack allegedly by Sri Lankan naval personnel in mid-sea off Arukattuthurai.
Incidents of Tamil Nadu fishermen being "attacked" and detained by Lankan naval personnel have been reported in recent months and the state government had been demanding that the Centre take up the issue strongly with the neighbouring country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!