TN fishermen attacked near Katchatheevu
Rameswaram: In yet another incident of attack on Tamil Nadu fishermen in the Palk Strait, a group of fishermen from here were beaten up and their boats damaged allegedly by Sri Lankan Navalmen near Katchatheevu, official sources said on Thursday.
Fishermen from Rameswaram region had put out to sea in 659 mechanised fishing boats yesterday. While they were fishing near Katchatheevu, an islet ceded to Sri Lanka by India in 1974, a group of 20 boats came under attack by Sri Lankan Navalmen late last night, they said.
The Sri Lankan Naval men boarded the fishing boats and allegedly beaten up the fishermen and damaged the boats and fishing nets, forcing all the boats to return to the shores.
The affected fishermen today lodged a complaint with state fisheries department officials here. They claimed that each boat suffered loss of Rs 30,000 due to the damage.
A tense situation prevailed in this town following the incident.
This is the third incident of attack on Tamil Nadu fishermen in Palk Strait this month. Around 15 fishermen were injured in an attack allegedly by Sri Lankan naval personnel
near the International Maritime Border Line on November 2, three others were injured in another incident a day later.
Incidents of attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen had been a recurring problem. The local fishermen had been demanding restoration of traditional fishing rights near Katchatheevu
and protection to them.
The government had been cautioning them not to cross the country`s maritime boundary.
Meanwhile, officials said four persons from Pamban and Thangatchimadam here have been arrested by Sri Lankan Naval personnel for allegedly attempting to smuggle beedi bundles into the island.
They were taken into custody after their country boat was intercepted near Talaimannar in Sri Lankan territorial waters and 36 beedi bundles seized on November 3, they said quoting information received from Lankan authorities.
The four had been lodged Anuradhapuram Prison in the island nation, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!