TN: Fishermen protest against Kudankulam plant
Chennai: Around 8,000 fishermen in around 600 fibre boats are staging a sea protest Monday against the construction of two 1,000 MW nuclear power plant at the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KNPP), said an activist.
Speaking to reporters, one of the leaders of the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE) said, "Fishermen from several villages, numbering around 8,000, are protesting against the nuclear power plant. They are on around 600 fibre boats."
He said the protest will be held till 3 p.m.
Pushparayan said shops in Kudankulam, Idhinthakarai, Chettikullam and other villages have downed their shutters in support of the people`s protest against the two nuclear power plants being built by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL) at Kudankulam in Tirunelveli district, around 650 km from here.
He said the marine police of the state government are patrolling the sea and a sizeable police contingent has been stationed in Kudankulam and other surrounding places.
Extending support to the anti-nuclear power plant agitators, fishermen in Tuticorin district struck work. Some of them are on hunger strike at a church there.
For more than a year, PMANE has been leading the people`s protests against the KNPP.
Villagers under the PMANE banner have opposed the project, fearing for their safety, especially since the nuclear disaster at Fukushima in Japan March 2011.
This is the fourth time that a protest has been organised in sea against the KNPP.
The NPCIL is carrying out tests at KNPP`s first unit which is expected to go critical (starting of nuclear fission process) this month.
Meanwhile, the district administration has issued prohibitory orders under Section 144 of the Indian Criminal Procedure Code (dealing with unlawful assembly and preventing more than five people from gathering) in and around Kudankulam till April 9.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title