TN: Fishermen to stage road, rail roko on August 23
Rameswaram (TN): Intensifying their protest, a group of fishermen on Sunday said they would stage road and rail roko on August 23 if the Sri Lankan government did not release five of their counterparts arrested by Sri Lankan Navy in November last year on charges of smuggling drugs.
The fishermen, who had launched a five-day fast highlighting the demand on August 8, announced this after ending the fast on Sunday.
If the fishermen were not released by August 22, then fishermen here would block road and rail traffic the next day, Emerite and Jasuraja, senior functionaries of fishermen organisations said here.
President of the fishing women`s association, Rose Mari, said black flags would be hoisted on August 15 atop their houses, to express "our sadness".
The five fishermen were arrested by Sri Lankan Navy on November 28 last on charges of smuggling drugs to the island nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Anushka Sharma slaps ‘Sultan’ Salman Khan?