TN: Fishermen to stage road, rail roko on August 23
Rameswaram (TN): Intensifying their protest, a group of fishermen on Sunday said they would stage road and rail roko on August 23 if the Sri Lankan government did not release five of their counterparts arrested by Sri Lankan Navy in November last year on charges of smuggling drugs.
The fishermen, who had launched a five-day fast highlighting the demand on August 8, announced this after ending the fast on Sunday.
If the fishermen were not released by August 22, then fishermen here would block road and rail traffic the next day, Emerite and Jasuraja, senior functionaries of fishermen organisations said here.
President of the fishing women`s association, Rose Mari, said black flags would be hoisted on August 15 atop their houses, to express "our sadness".
The five fishermen were arrested by Sri Lankan Navy on November 28 last on charges of smuggling drugs to the island nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL