TN: Fishermen to stage road, rail roko on August 23
Rameswaram (TN): Intensifying their protest, a group of fishermen on Sunday said they would stage road and rail roko on August 23 if the Sri Lankan government did not release five of their counterparts arrested by Sri Lankan Navy in November last year on charges of smuggling drugs.
The fishermen, who had launched a five-day fast highlighting the demand on August 8, announced this after ending the fast on Sunday.
If the fishermen were not released by August 22, then fishermen here would block road and rail traffic the next day, Emerite and Jasuraja, senior functionaries of fishermen organisations said here.
President of the fishing women`s association, Rose Mari, said black flags would be hoisted on August 15 atop their houses, to express "our sadness".
The five fishermen were arrested by Sri Lankan Navy on November 28 last on charges of smuggling drugs to the island nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!