TN: Fishermen to stage road, rail roko on August 23
Rameswaram (TN): Intensifying their protest, a group of fishermen on Sunday said they would stage road and rail roko on August 23 if the Sri Lankan government did not release five of their counterparts arrested by Sri Lankan Navy in November last year on charges of smuggling drugs.
The fishermen, who had launched a five-day fast highlighting the demand on August 8, announced this after ending the fast on Sunday.
If the fishermen were not released by August 22, then fishermen here would block road and rail traffic the next day, Emerite and Jasuraja, senior functionaries of fishermen organisations said here.
President of the fishing women`s association, Rose Mari, said black flags would be hoisted on August 15 atop their houses, to express "our sadness".
The five fishermen were arrested by Sri Lankan Navy on November 28 last on charges of smuggling drugs to the island nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!