TN fishing boat sunk allegedly by SL fishermen
Rameswaram: Sri Lankan fishermen hurled
allegedly petrol bombs at some fishing boats in the presence
of Lankan naval personnel, sinking one of them while another
narrowly escaped at Katchatheevu in the Palk straits, a
fisherman`s body said on Thursday.
N Devadoss, Rameswaram Fisherman`s Association President,
alleged that the attack was carried out in the presence of Sri
Lankan naval personnel, who damaged 20 other boats by pelting
stones and other objects.
He said fishermen had clarified that the petrol bomb attack
was carried out by fishermen of the island nation and not by
the Sri Lankan naval personnel.
Police said a complaint had been registered stating that a
boat owned by one Arumugam was sunk in the attack while the
other boat escaped from the scene and that the Lankan naval
personnel had damaged 20 boats.
Fisheries department officials said the fishermen, who had
put out to sea from here, came under attack around midnight
The incident comes close on the heels of the March 10
attack allegedly by Sri Lankan Naval personnel in which 16
fishermen were injured.
India then had asked its mission in Colombo to take up the
issue of attacks on fishermen with authorities in Sri Lanka.
Devadoss condemned the latest attack and demanded that
External Affairs Minister S M Krishna take up the issue with
the United Nations and lodge a strong protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America