TN fishing boat sunk allegedly by SL fishermen
Rameswaram: Sri Lankan fishermen hurled
allegedly petrol bombs at some fishing boats in the presence
of Lankan naval personnel, sinking one of them while another
narrowly escaped at Katchatheevu in the Palk straits, a
fisherman`s body said on Thursday.
N Devadoss, Rameswaram Fisherman`s Association President,
alleged that the attack was carried out in the presence of Sri
Lankan naval personnel, who damaged 20 other boats by pelting
stones and other objects.
He said fishermen had clarified that the petrol bomb attack
was carried out by fishermen of the island nation and not by
the Sri Lankan naval personnel.
Police said a complaint had been registered stating that a
boat owned by one Arumugam was sunk in the attack while the
other boat escaped from the scene and that the Lankan naval
personnel had damaged 20 boats.
Fisheries department officials said the fishermen, who had
put out to sea from here, came under attack around midnight
The incident comes close on the heels of the March 10
attack allegedly by Sri Lankan Naval personnel in which 16
fishermen were injured.
India then had asked its mission in Colombo to take up the
issue of attacks on fishermen with authorities in Sri Lanka.
Devadoss condemned the latest attack and demanded that
External Affairs Minister S M Krishna take up the issue with
the United Nations and lodge a strong protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan