TN govt announces monthly dole to Lankan refugees
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J
Jayalalithaa Tuesday announced a monthly dole of Rs 1000 to 5,544 Lankan Tamils living in refugee camps in the state.
An order to this effect has been issued by the Chief Minister, an official press release here said.
"The Chief Minister is concerned about the welfare of the Sri Lankan Tamils staying in refugee camps in the state
and, therefore, in the Governor`s address had also announced
that various welfare measures will be extended to the Tamils,"
Jayalalithaa had taken up the plight of Sri Lankan
Tamils lodged in camps in the island nation with the US
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton when she met her last
month, the release said.
After the AIADMK came to power, the Tamil Nadu Assembly also adopted a resolution demanding economic sanctions to "rein in" Colombo on the Sri Lankan Tamils issue.
Jayalalithaa`s action to provide relief to the Tamils comes a day after her party MPS in the Lok Sabha sought to
embarrass a visiting Lankan Parliamentary delegation led by
Sri Lankan Parliament Speaker Chamal Rajapaksa.
AIADMK members led by M Thambidurai were on their feet
raising slogans on the Tamils issue as Lok Sabha Speaker Meira
Kumar introduced the visitors led by the Sri Lankan Parliament
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!