TN govt announces monthly dole to Lankan refugees
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J
Jayalalithaa Tuesday announced a monthly dole of Rs 1000 to 5,544 Lankan Tamils living in refugee camps in the state.
An order to this effect has been issued by the Chief Minister, an official press release here said.
"The Chief Minister is concerned about the welfare of the Sri Lankan Tamils staying in refugee camps in the state
and, therefore, in the Governor`s address had also announced
that various welfare measures will be extended to the Tamils,"
Jayalalithaa had taken up the plight of Sri Lankan
Tamils lodged in camps in the island nation with the US
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton when she met her last
month, the release said.
After the AIADMK came to power, the Tamil Nadu Assembly also adopted a resolution demanding economic sanctions to "rein in" Colombo on the Sri Lankan Tamils issue.
Jayalalithaa`s action to provide relief to the Tamils comes a day after her party MPS in the Lok Sabha sought to
embarrass a visiting Lankan Parliamentary delegation led by
Sri Lankan Parliament Speaker Chamal Rajapaksa.
AIADMK members led by M Thambidurai were on their feet
raising slogans on the Tamils issue as Lok Sabha Speaker Meira
Kumar introduced the visitors led by the Sri Lankan Parliament
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?