TN govt announces monthly dole to Lankan refugees
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J
Jayalalithaa Tuesday announced a monthly dole of Rs 1000 to 5,544 Lankan Tamils living in refugee camps in the state.
An order to this effect has been issued by the Chief Minister, an official press release here said.
"The Chief Minister is concerned about the welfare of the Sri Lankan Tamils staying in refugee camps in the state
and, therefore, in the Governor`s address had also announced
that various welfare measures will be extended to the Tamils,"
Jayalalithaa had taken up the plight of Sri Lankan
Tamils lodged in camps in the island nation with the US
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton when she met her last
month, the release said.
After the AIADMK came to power, the Tamil Nadu Assembly also adopted a resolution demanding economic sanctions to "rein in" Colombo on the Sri Lankan Tamils issue.
Jayalalithaa`s action to provide relief to the Tamils comes a day after her party MPS in the Lok Sabha sought to
embarrass a visiting Lankan Parliamentary delegation led by
Sri Lankan Parliament Speaker Chamal Rajapaksa.
AIADMK members led by M Thambidurai were on their feet
raising slogans on the Tamils issue as Lok Sabha Speaker Meira
Kumar introduced the visitors led by the Sri Lankan Parliament
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj