TN govt announces satellite city for Madurai
Chennai: As part of its efforts to meet the growing demand for dwelling units in urban areas, the Tamil Nadu government Thursday announced a satellite township on the outskirts of Madurai at a cost of Rs 120 crore and proposed to build 4,454 houses in several other districts.
Making a suo motu statement in the Assembly, Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa said the township would be created some 15 kms away from Madurai along Madurai-Tirunelveli highway near the airport.
The township would be created over 586.86 acre presently owned by Tamil Nadu Housing Board in Thoppur-Uchappatti, she said.
The township would have 19,500 plots to be developed at a cost of Rs 120 crore with basic amenities like drinking water, roads, drainage system, street light, rain water harvesting facilities and parks.
Of this, 14,300, 2,500, 750 and 1,950 plots would be alloted to low, middle, high income groups and economically weaker sections respectively, she said.
The township would be complete with schools, commercial complexes, police station, post office, primary health centre, fire station and upgraded industrial houses funded by Tamil Nadu Housing Board, she added.
The Chief Minister also announced that 1,500 flats would be built at Sholinganallur here, using `pre fab technology` at a cost of Rs 612 crore.
The 10-storeyed building would have separate sections for low, middle and higher income groups.
"With the using of this new technology (pre fab technology) being followed in Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Hyderabad, the construction time frame be reduced up to 25 per cent and expenditure between 10 and 15 per cent," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31