TN govt announces satellite city for Madurai
Chennai: As part of its efforts to meet the growing demand for dwelling units in urban areas, the Tamil Nadu government Thursday announced a satellite township on the outskirts of Madurai at a cost of Rs 120 crore and proposed to build 4,454 houses in several other districts.
Making a suo motu statement in the Assembly, Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa said the township would be created some 15 kms away from Madurai along Madurai-Tirunelveli highway near the airport.
The township would be created over 586.86 acre presently owned by Tamil Nadu Housing Board in Thoppur-Uchappatti, she said.
The township would have 19,500 plots to be developed at a cost of Rs 120 crore with basic amenities like drinking water, roads, drainage system, street light, rain water harvesting facilities and parks.
Of this, 14,300, 2,500, 750 and 1,950 plots would be alloted to low, middle, high income groups and economically weaker sections respectively, she said.
The township would be complete with schools, commercial complexes, police station, post office, primary health centre, fire station and upgraded industrial houses funded by Tamil Nadu Housing Board, she added.
The Chief Minister also announced that 1,500 flats would be built at Sholinganallur here, using `pre fab technology` at a cost of Rs 612 crore.
The 10-storeyed building would have separate sections for low, middle and higher income groups.
"With the using of this new technology (pre fab technology) being followed in Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Hyderabad, the construction time frame be reduced up to 25 per cent and expenditure between 10 and 15 per cent," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional