TN govt announces satellite city for Madurai
Chennai: As part of its efforts to meet the growing demand for dwelling units in urban areas, the Tamil Nadu government Thursday announced a satellite township on the outskirts of Madurai at a cost of Rs 120 crore and proposed to build 4,454 houses in several other districts.
Making a suo motu statement in the Assembly, Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa said the township would be created some 15 kms away from Madurai along Madurai-Tirunelveli highway near the airport.
The township would be created over 586.86 acre presently owned by Tamil Nadu Housing Board in Thoppur-Uchappatti, she said.
The township would have 19,500 plots to be developed at a cost of Rs 120 crore with basic amenities like drinking water, roads, drainage system, street light, rain water harvesting facilities and parks.
Of this, 14,300, 2,500, 750 and 1,950 plots would be alloted to low, middle, high income groups and economically weaker sections respectively, she said.
The township would be complete with schools, commercial complexes, police station, post office, primary health centre, fire station and upgraded industrial houses funded by Tamil Nadu Housing Board, she added.
The Chief Minister also announced that 1,500 flats would be built at Sholinganallur here, using `pre fab technology` at a cost of Rs 612 crore.
The 10-storeyed building would have separate sections for low, middle and higher income groups.
"With the using of this new technology (pre fab technology) being followed in Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Hyderabad, the construction time frame be reduced up to 25 per cent and expenditure between 10 and 15 per cent," she added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!