TN govt files defamation complaints against Jayalalithaa
Chennai: The Tamil Nadu government on Wednesday
filed two defamation complaints against AIADMK chief J
Jayalalitha for issuing press statements, which, it alleged,
tarnished the image of Chief Minister M Karunanidhi.
City Public Prosecutor M Shajahan filed the complaints
before the Principal Sessions Court.
"On April 14, a statement issued by Jayalalitha was
published in a Tamil daily in connection with cutting fees
structure of ex-service men who were on assembly poll duty,"
"This has completely damaged and undermined the high
reputation of the chief minister. The statement of AIADMK
leader had created disrespect in the minds of general public
and voters," it said.
The complainant contended that "a plain reading of the
article has conveyed the message as though the chief minister
had directed the chief secretary to cut the fees of Rs 300
given to the ex-servicemen who were deployed for the election
State Chief Electoral Officer Praveen Kumar had stated
that he was responsible for cutting the fees structure to
ex-servicemen and not the Chief Minister as stated in press
statement by the AIADMK leader, the public prosecutor said.
In another complaint, Shajahan said Jayalalitha had
made a press statement on April 13 which contained some
statements defaming the chief minister and officials of
Central and state governments.
"The statements by her blatantly contains false and
baseless allegations with ulterior motive to cause damage and
undermine the high reputation of the chief minister. It was
only made to defame him on the eve of assembly polls,"
Shajahan said in the complaints.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'