TN govt gives more aid to cyclone-hit farmers
Chennai: Tamil Nadu government Wednesday announced a series of relief measures to farmers in the Thane cyclone-affected Cuddalore district, including a sum of Rs 210
crore as compensation for damaged crops.
Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa said standing crops including
cash crops over 2.24 lakh hectares had been completely damaged
due to the cyclone, which hit the district on December 30,
thus severely affecting the farm sector.
"I have directed that compensation be paid above the
Central government stipulations and Rs 210 crore will be
disbursed as relief for damage to crops alone," she said in an
official statement here.
Further, as part of a package to the farmers in Cuddalore, saplings of coconut, cashew and jackfruit would be given without any cost and the government would bear the maintenance cost for a year, she said.
Farm labourers would be paid wages under the MNREGA and
this would cover farmers who take up works in their own land
also, she said adding government would provide a Mini Kit
comprising seeds and fertilisers to farmers who take up
plantation of pulses.
This Mini Kit would be given free of cost, Jayalalithaa
said, adding the package would benefit 3.45 lakh farmers in
Infrastructure was the worst affected, with roads and water
lines damaged due to the cyclone fury and four lakh huts and
tile-topped houses have been damaged, she said adding 5,000
personnel of the TNEB would be added to the existing 3,000 who
are working round the clock to restore power lines.
Restoration works were on on a "war-footing," she added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way