TN govt has failed to prevent crimes against women: PMK
Madurai: Condemning the gang-rape of a college student in Krishnagiri district, PMK founder leader S Ramadoss on Sunday accused the Tamil Nadu government of failing to control crime against women.
In a statement here, he said the government should take positive and sincere efforts to prevent crimes against women and ensure their safety instead of boasting of "achievements which were not made".
He claimed that as per the National Crime Bureau records, on an average "one child and three women are affected due to sexual assault" in the state every day.
The government was so "indifferent" towards sexual assault on women that it took two years to appoint a lawyer in the case of Punitha of Sri Vaikuntam near Tuticorin who was raped and murdered, Ramadoss said.
Referring to the Rayakottai incident in Krishnagiri district where a college girl was raped by four persons on July 18 after assaulting her lover, he said the government should ensure that such persons got severe punishment as per Justice Verma Commission recommendations to prevent recurrence of such crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?