TN govt launches series of budget canteens
Chennai: Setting in motion to provide the popular South Indian dish, idli, and other items at affordable rates, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Tuesday launched a series of budget canteens in the city.
This was in line with an announcement made recently to benefit daily wage labourers and others earning substantially low wages.
Jayalalithaa launched the initiative of Chennai Corporation by lighting a lamp at a function here, simultaneously inaugurating 15 such facilities.
The Corporation had proposed opening 200 such canteens that will function from 7 am to 10 pm where the prices of food such as idli and various cooked rice items have been fixed between one rupee and Rs 5.
The scheme will be implemented through local women`s Self-Help Groups (SHGs), a government release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security