TN govt launches series of budget canteens
Chennai: Setting in motion to provide the popular South Indian dish, idli, and other items at affordable rates, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Tuesday launched a series of budget canteens in the city.
This was in line with an announcement made recently to benefit daily wage labourers and others earning substantially low wages.
Jayalalithaa launched the initiative of Chennai Corporation by lighting a lamp at a function here, simultaneously inaugurating 15 such facilities.
The Corporation had proposed opening 200 such canteens that will function from 7 am to 10 pm where the prices of food such as idli and various cooked rice items have been fixed between one rupee and Rs 5.
The scheme will be implemented through local women`s Self-Help Groups (SHGs), a government release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Stephen Constantine names probable squad for Puerto Rico match
- RBI lets banks issue masala bonds, to accept corporate bonds in LAF
- Angry Mehbooba ends press meet with Rajnath abruptly
- Triple treble: How Usain Bolt stormed to another set of gold medals at Rio Olympics – VIDEO
- Two reward-carrying women Naxals arrested; another surrenders