TN govt launches series of budget canteens
Chennai: Setting in motion to provide the popular South Indian dish, idli, and other items at affordable rates, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Tuesday launched a series of budget canteens in the city.
This was in line with an announcement made recently to benefit daily wage labourers and others earning substantially low wages.
Jayalalithaa launched the initiative of Chennai Corporation by lighting a lamp at a function here, simultaneously inaugurating 15 such facilities.
The Corporation had proposed opening 200 such canteens that will function from 7 am to 10 pm where the prices of food such as idli and various cooked rice items have been fixed between one rupee and Rs 5.
The scheme will be implemented through local women`s Self-Help Groups (SHGs), a government release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader