TN govt launches series of budget canteens
Chennai: Setting in motion to provide the popular South Indian dish, idli, and other items at affordable rates, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Tuesday launched a series of budget canteens in the city.
This was in line with an announcement made recently to benefit daily wage labourers and others earning substantially low wages.
Jayalalithaa launched the initiative of Chennai Corporation by lighting a lamp at a function here, simultaneously inaugurating 15 such facilities.
The Corporation had proposed opening 200 such canteens that will function from 7 am to 10 pm where the prices of food such as idli and various cooked rice items have been fixed between one rupee and Rs 5.
The scheme will be implemented through local women`s Self-Help Groups (SHGs), a government release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by 'VIPs' Rijiju, Fadnavis
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding