TN govt launches series of budget canteens
Chennai: Setting in motion to provide the popular South Indian dish, idli, and other items at affordable rates, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Tuesday launched a series of budget canteens in the city.
This was in line with an announcement made recently to benefit daily wage labourers and others earning substantially low wages.
Jayalalithaa launched the initiative of Chennai Corporation by lighting a lamp at a function here, simultaneously inaugurating 15 such facilities.
The Corporation had proposed opening 200 such canteens that will function from 7 am to 10 pm where the prices of food such as idli and various cooked rice items have been fixed between one rupee and Rs 5.
The scheme will be implemented through local women`s Self-Help Groups (SHGs), a government release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Grenade attack on police post in J&K's Anantnag, security tightened
- World Immunisation Week: Narendra Modi government proactive, Mission Indradhanush good initiative - Praises from Gavi CEO
- Kareena Kapoor Khan, Amrita Arora's boxing session will give you fitness goals! – See pictures
- Sourav Ganguly bats for Salman Khan, says actor will bring in visibility to Rio Olympics as Indian contingent's Goodwill Ambassador
- Economy may expand by 7.8% in 2017-18: UN report