TN govt mulling expert panel on endosulfan: Karuna
Chennai: Amid growing demands for banning
endosulfan, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi on Thursday said
the state government proposed to form an expert panel to look
into the issue.
"Scientific experts hold that due to high temperature in
Tamil Nadu, the effects of endosulfan have been minimal.
However, it has been planned to form an expert panel to
solicit recommendations on banning the pesticide and make due
considerations," he said.
Writing in party mouthpiece `Murasoli,` he said the
pesticide, already banned by neighbouring Kerala for its
`ill-effects` on people, was effective in `controlling` pests
in cotton, corn, chillies, tea leaves and paddy.
He recalled that a recent convention in Geneva had
favoured doing away with the pesticide.
He said 81 countries had already banned it and some
farmers` associations in the state were also making a similar
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre