TN govt orders commission to probe death of Dalit youth
Chennai: Tamil Nadu government on Monday ordered a commission to "probe the truth" behind the death of a Dalit youth, whose marriage to a woman from another caste sparked anti-Dalit violence in Dharmapuri last year.
Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa, expressing shock and grief over the death of Ilavarasan, said she had ordered a commission under former High Court Judge Justice SR Singaravelu to probe the matter.
"Social activists, political parties and individuals have been expressing various views (on the death). Ilavarasan`s father has also expressed doubts over his son`s death. Therefore, to probe the truth behind Ilavarasan`s death, I have ordered an inquiry commission under Justice S R Singaravelu," she said in a statement here.
Ilavarasan was found dead near a railway track in Dharmapuri on July 4, a day after his wife Divya had said she would never go back to him and would stay with her mother.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog