TN govt orders commission to probe death of Dalit youth
Chennai: Tamil Nadu government on Monday ordered a commission to "probe the truth" behind the death of a Dalit youth, whose marriage to a woman from another caste sparked anti-Dalit violence in Dharmapuri last year.
Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa, expressing shock and grief over the death of Ilavarasan, said she had ordered a commission under former High Court Judge Justice SR Singaravelu to probe the matter.
"Social activists, political parties and individuals have been expressing various views (on the death). Ilavarasan`s father has also expressed doubts over his son`s death. Therefore, to probe the truth behind Ilavarasan`s death, I have ordered an inquiry commission under Justice S R Singaravelu," she said in a statement here.
Ilavarasan was found dead near a railway track in Dharmapuri on July 4, a day after his wife Divya had said she would never go back to him and would stay with her mother.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow