TN govt scraps discretionary quota for land allotment

Last Updated: Friday, January 7, 2011 - 17:52

Chennai: A month after a scam surfaced in
Tamil Nadu over alleged misuse of discretionary powers in
allotting prime land to scores of people, including judges and
officials, the state government on Friday scrapped the system.

"The system of allotting houses and plots under the
Government Discretionary Quota, in vogue for past several
years in Tamil Nadu Housing Board (TNHB), is being put to an
end from today," Governor Surjit Singh Barnala said in his
customary address to the Assembly.

He said the government planned to assign plots to
lower and middle income groups in Chennai and its surroundings
and other parts such as Coimbatore, Madurai and
Tiruchirappalli, Erode and Hosur from 1,100 acres belonging to
the TNHB.

These land would be assigned "at an affordable price
on no profit no loss basis", he said.

Last month, information obtained through an RTI query
revealed prime land was alloted to a judge of the Madras High
Court, a retired judge, kin of a state minister, DMK and
Congress MLAs, and a top Intelligence official, among others,
allegedly in violation of norms.

Chief Minister M Karunanidhi has maintained that there
were no violations in the allotment of land.


Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.

First Published: Friday, January 7, 2011 - 17:52

More from zeenews

comments powered by Disqus