TN govt scraps discretionary quota for land allotment
Chennai: A month after a scam surfaced in
Tamil Nadu over alleged misuse of discretionary powers in
allotting prime land to scores of people, including judges and
officials, the state government on Friday scrapped the system.
"The system of allotting houses and plots under the
Government Discretionary Quota, in vogue for past several
years in Tamil Nadu Housing Board (TNHB), is being put to an
end from today," Governor Surjit Singh Barnala said in his
customary address to the Assembly.
He said the government planned to assign plots to
lower and middle income groups in Chennai and its surroundings
and other parts such as Coimbatore, Madurai and
Tiruchirappalli, Erode and Hosur from 1,100 acres belonging to
These land would be assigned "at an affordable price
on no profit no loss basis", he said.
Last month, information obtained through an RTI query
revealed prime land was alloted to a judge of the Madras High
Court, a retired judge, kin of a state minister, DMK and
Congress MLAs, and a top Intelligence official, among others,
allegedly in violation of norms.
Chief Minister M Karunanidhi has maintained that there
were no violations in the allotment of land.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Uttarakhand Board Class 12th Examination Results 2016: (uaresults.nic.in) Uttarakhand Board (UK) Class 12th Results 2016, Uttarakhand Class 12 Results 2016 to be declared today
- There was no intention to show disrespect to Stalin or DMK, clarifies Jayalalithaa
- Air ambulance crash lands in Delhi: This is how the pilot saved lives of passengers
- Uttarakhand Class 10 Results 2016: (uaresults.nic.in) Uk Board Class 10th Result 2016, Uttarakhand Board Class 10th X Result 2016, UBSE 10th Class Result to be announced today at 11 am
- Govt's solution for bad loans: Merge state-owned banks to 6 from 27