TN govt should declare delta districts `disaster affected`: Karunanidhi
Chennai: With no end in sight to the Cauvery crisis that threatens to affect the samba crop, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Monday asked the state government to accept farmers` demands, including declaring delta districts as `disaster affected`.
In a party statement, he said Kuruvai (short-term) crops had suffered "huge loss" due to water shortage, even as acreage in subsequent samba season had shrunk by almost 50 percent. Now even this faced bleak prospects because of water scarcity, mainly in the Cauvery Delta region.
Stating that Karnataka had declined to provide 12 tmcft of water as directed by the Cauvery Monitoring Committee, he cited reports to point out that if 30 tmcft of water was not provided to farmers as sought by them, Rs 45,000 crore worth of crops would suffer loss.
Farmers in delta districts have put forth demands including declaring them as `disaster affected` besides seeking relief of Rs 40,000 per acre as compensation besides waiving off crop loans.
"Government should come forward to save the livelihood of farmers by accepting these demands," he insisted.
Though Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had promised to provide farmers 12-hour power supply, they were not getting even three hours of three phase power, he alleged.
"The rulers remain deaf despite the protest by farmers on December 7," he said.
He recalled that the recent meeting between Jayalalithaa and her Karnataka counterpart Jagadish Shettar in Bangalore on this issue had failed to provide any relief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people