`TN govt silently supporting Kudankulam stir`
Chennai: Hitting out at the Jayalalithaa
government over the Kudankulam nuclear power plant issue, DMK chief M Karunanidhi Wednesday accused it of extending "silent support" to the protests against the Indo-Russian project.
"While there is a possibility of generating 1,000 mw from
the plant, some are protesting against it saying they don`t
want it. To the question if the government is supporting it
or criticising it, (one can say) it is extending silent
support," he said.
In his address at a function here to distribute aid on the
eve of his son M K Stalin`s birthday tomorrow, Karunanidhi
said the government was also silent to questions whether it
was behind the protests.
He said the world was watching (the developments) and
those "who are aware of the truth" were unable to express it.
"Had the state government extended its help to the plant
and its scientists in the eight months (of the protest) for
power generation, this darkness (power cut) would not have
been experienced," he said.
By allowing a protest, which showed no signs of ending, the state government had failed in its duty to allay fears of the people by spreading awareness, he charged.
The DMK patriarch, whose previous government had placed
its bet on the completion of the Indo-Russian joint venture to
address power shortage, said his government had taken efforts
including purchasing power from other states and getting it
from central grid while acknowledging the electricity
On the concerns of the anti-nuke protesters over safety of
the plant, he referred to the Kalpakkam Atomic Power station
located near Chennai and said it was "doing well".
"While we have allowed a Kalpakkam (plant) near Chennai,
its puzzling to see the protests against the one at
Kudankulam. Why is the state government silent?" he asked.
"While there are many theories behind the stalling of the
project, including allegations of US hand (funding from US
NGOs), it is only the public who voted (for AIADMK) who are
suffering," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!