`TN govt silently supporting Kudankulam stir`
Chennai: Hitting out at the Jayalalithaa
government over the Kudankulam nuclear power plant issue, DMK chief M Karunanidhi Wednesday accused it of extending "silent support" to the protests against the Indo-Russian project.
"While there is a possibility of generating 1,000 mw from
the plant, some are protesting against it saying they don`t
want it. To the question if the government is supporting it
or criticising it, (one can say) it is extending silent
support," he said.
In his address at a function here to distribute aid on the
eve of his son M K Stalin`s birthday tomorrow, Karunanidhi
said the government was also silent to questions whether it
was behind the protests.
He said the world was watching (the developments) and
those "who are aware of the truth" were unable to express it.
"Had the state government extended its help to the plant
and its scientists in the eight months (of the protest) for
power generation, this darkness (power cut) would not have
been experienced," he said.
By allowing a protest, which showed no signs of ending, the state government had failed in its duty to allay fears of the people by spreading awareness, he charged.
The DMK patriarch, whose previous government had placed
its bet on the completion of the Indo-Russian joint venture to
address power shortage, said his government had taken efforts
including purchasing power from other states and getting it
from central grid while acknowledging the electricity
On the concerns of the anti-nuke protesters over safety of
the plant, he referred to the Kalpakkam Atomic Power station
located near Chennai and said it was "doing well".
"While we have allowed a Kalpakkam (plant) near Chennai,
its puzzling to see the protests against the one at
Kudankulam. Why is the state government silent?" he asked.
"While there are many theories behind the stalling of the
project, including allegations of US hand (funding from US
NGOs), it is only the public who voted (for AIADMK) who are
suffering," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says