TN govt taking all steps to bring back body of fisherman
Ramanathapuram: Ramanathapuram district collector Nandhakumar on Thursday met the mother and relatives of the fisherman killed in firing by the US Navy off Dubai coast and said Tamil Nadu government was taking all steps to bring his body back to India.
Offering condolences to them, he said the post-mortem was completed today and the state government was taking efforts to bring the body of A Sekar to India through the centre.
Sekar`s mother told the Collector that her son was the only bread winner of the family and urged him to arrange for compensation from the US Government or the fishing company in Dubai where he was working.
She said her daughter had passed her 12th standard exams and requested the collector to arrange for a government job for her.
Earlier District Revenue officer Sukumaran handed over a cheque for Rs five lakh given by Chief Minister Jayalalithaa to Sekar`s mother.
Sekar was killed and three others wounded on July 15 when a security team on board a US Navy ship fired at their small boat off Dubai coast. The boat had four Indians and two Emirate nationals when the incident took place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray