TN govt taking all steps to bring back body of fisherman
Ramanathapuram: Ramanathapuram district collector Nandhakumar on Thursday met the mother and relatives of the fisherman killed in firing by the US Navy off Dubai coast and said Tamil Nadu government was taking all steps to bring his body back to India.
Offering condolences to them, he said the post-mortem was completed today and the state government was taking efforts to bring the body of A Sekar to India through the centre.
Sekar`s mother told the Collector that her son was the only bread winner of the family and urged him to arrange for compensation from the US Government or the fishing company in Dubai where he was working.
She said her daughter had passed her 12th standard exams and requested the collector to arrange for a government job for her.
Earlier District Revenue officer Sukumaran handed over a cheque for Rs five lakh given by Chief Minister Jayalalithaa to Sekar`s mother.
Sekar was killed and three others wounded on July 15 when a security team on board a US Navy ship fired at their small boat off Dubai coast. The boat had four Indians and two Emirate nationals when the incident took place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Roger Federer cleans court by removing bottles, towels left by other players