TN govt taking steps to eradicate begging: Minister
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Government today said it was taking sincere efforts to eradicate begging in the state.
Replying to a question from DMDK member Arun Subramaniam, Social Welfare Minister B Valarmathi said the government has been discouraging the beggars from begging.
She also said 69 persons rescued from begging were being kept at a rehabilitation centre at Melpakkam in Tiruvallur district.
They were being provided food, clothes and trained in life skills, she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- President tells IIT, IISc-Bangalore and IISER scholars to make India great
- Accident blocks Delhi-Howrah rail route, two dozen trains diverted
- Israel says Abbas reviving old `blood libel` against Jews
- Colombia government, FARC rebels sign ceasefire
- Subramanian Swamy now raises questions on Arvind Kejriwal's admission into IIT