TN govt talks to protestors against n-plant
Tirunelveli (TN): As the indefinite fast by
over a hundred people against Koodankulam Nuclear Power Plant
(KNPP) in the district entered its fifth day, Tamil Nadu
government on Thursday deputed three ministers to initiate talks
with the protestors.
Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowment Minister
Shanmuganathan, Labour Welfare Minister Chellapandian and
Khadhi and Village Industries Minister Chendur Pandian are
holding talks with P Udayakumar, Jayakumar and advocate
Sivasubramanian, who are spearheading the protest.
The talks began at the taluk office in Radhapuram assembly
constituency at about 4 pm. Tirunelveli District Collector,
Selvaraj had written yesterday night to Udayakumar, Jayakumar
and Sivasubramanian, urging them to hold conciliatory talks at
a particular place.
However, the trio had insisted that the Collector and other
officials hold the talks in front of the agitators itself,
Meanwhile, one of the 127 agitators on fast on the issue,
Ganesan of Idinthakarai, was hospitalised after he fainted
today, police said.
The fast of the Radhapuram assembly constituency
representative, Michael Royappan, of the Desiya Murpokku
Dravidar Kazhagam (DMDK), also entered its second day today.
The MLA is observing the fast in support of the agitation.
In the talks that were held at the taluk office, the
ministers were accompanied by senior officials including the
District Collector and the Tiruvelveli Range Deputy Inspector
General of Police, M Varadharaju.
The KNPP project, undertaken in collaboration with Russia
envisages building of two 1,000 MW VVER type reactors by the
Nuclear Power Corporation of India in the coastal village of
The protests have intensified in the last few weeks after
the KNPP officials said the hot run (testing with dummy fuel)
of the first reactor, has reached the final stage and
commercial power production would begin in December.
On August 15, a meeting of the local village sabha at
Idinthakarai, which falls in the two km radius of the KNPP,
resolved that the plant should be shelved, citing safety
concerns and recent Fukushima nuclear disaster in Japan.
While 127 people under the banner Confederation against
KNPP have been on the indefinite fast at Idinthakarai since
September 10, thousands of residents of surrounding villages
have been joining them in observing relay hunger strike.
For the fifth day today, fishermen of the area did not
put out to sea for fishing while students continued to
Several political parties, the Federation of Traders
Association and local social organisations have extended their
support to the protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly