TN govt to invoke Goondas Act
Chennai: Asserting that her government will not tolerate violence in the state, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa Monday warned of invoking the stringent Goondas Act against those who incite trouble.
Replying to a special call attention motion in the Assembly regarding last week`s violence at Marakkanam in Villupuram district, seen as targeted against Dalits, she said 10 cases had been filed in Kancheepuram and Villupuram districts in connection with the violence.
PMK`s parent organisation, Vanniyar Sangam, had organised a function on April 25 at Mamallapuram and a section of those proceeding there from Puducherry were involved in violence, torching huts and government buses, besides damaging private property, Jayalalithaa said replying to a special call attention moved by the opposition parties.
The organisers had flouted various assurances and undertakings given to police regarding the event and this included winding up the programme at 11.35 PM, well beyond the accepted deadline of 10 PM, she said.
"Ramadoss (PMK founder leader) had stated "I am speaking at 11.30 PM... File a case and I am not bothered." As per his wish a case has been filed and I hope he accepts his crime and also the punishment (to be awarded) by the court," she said.
She said many of those who had come for the event were drunk, even as she noted that Ramadoss, who led the entire event, argues for prohibition.
"This government will never tolerate violence. Strict legal action will be taken against those who incite caste and communal violence for their own benefit and those who involve in violent acts. I assure my government will not hesitate to invoke the Goondas Act against those who disturb public peace," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof