TN govt to move SC to expedite Katchatheevu case
Chennai: Tamil Nadu government Saturday said it has decided to move the Supreme Court for expediting a pending case seeking that the 1974 and 1976 accords under which Katchatheevu islet was ceded to Sri Lanka by India be declared illegal to pave way for its retrieval.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa said she chaired a review meeting yesterday with the Chief Secretary and other officials from relevant departments including Revenue where the decision was taken.
"It was decided in the meeting that the Tamil Nadu government will file a petition in the Supreme Court seeking to expedite the case (filed by her in 2008 and in which the Revenue Department impleaded itself later) seeking declaration of the agreements illegal," she said.
The decision was taken following the attacks on Indian fishermen by Sri Lankan navy which "continue unabated," Jayalalithaa said in statement.
Katchatheevu in the Palk Straits has come into focus with Tamil Nadu fishermen alleging frequent attacks by the Sri Lankan Navy on them when they for fishing near the islet.
Jayalalithaa has also repeatedly spoken of the fishermen`s "traditional fishing rights" there while pitching her case with the Centre for its retrieval from Sri Lanka.
She had filed a case in the Supreme Court in 2008 in this regard, and after her party was elected to power last year, had moved a resolution in the Assembly seeking to implead the Revenue Department in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble