TN govt to provide free bicycles to ITI students
Chennai: In yet another pro-students initiative, the AIADMK government in Tamil Nadu today proposed providing free bicycles to over 21,000 beneficiaries studying in state-run Industrial Training Institutes.
Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa allocated Rs 6.36 crore for providing bicycles "free of cost," considering the fact that a large number of students in ITIs hailed from economically poor background, an official release here said.
This was in line with an existing scheme of providing bicycles to school students who cover considerable distance to reach their institutions, the release said, adding, the proposed move will benefit 21,925 ITI students.
The Jayalalithaa government is already providing a slew of sops to school and college going students including supplying free laptops, touted to be a key programme of the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: Today in History, 24th September, 2016
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi