TN govt to take legal action against AIADMK`s newspaper
Chennai: The Tamil Nadu government has decided to take legal action against AIADMK`s newspaper `Namadu MGR` for publishing a report alleging that a meeting of police officers was held to discuss ways to assist the ruling DMK during the counting of votes on May 13.The state went to polls April 13 to elect a new 234-member Assembly.
The news report, published Tuesday, also stated that a senior police officer chaired the meeting and the Election Commission of India is enquiring into the matter.
In a statement issued here Wednesday, Chief Minister M Karunanidhi said: "The report is published mainly to confuse and divert people and also instill a sense of fear in the minds of officials who are assigned the task of vote-counting."
He said that he hoped the Election Commission would declare the findings of its enquiry, if it had conducted one, and also take legal action against those responsible for publishing the report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch