TN launches free CFL bulb scheme to hut-dwellers
Chennai: Tamil Nadu government on Monday launched the first phase of providing free compact fluorescent light bulbs to over 14 lakh hut-dwellers in the state, an energy-saving measure aimed at saving 40 mw of power.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa also launched over Rs 500 crore worth of projects under the Energy Department through video conferencing from her camp office at Kodanadu in the Nilgiris district.
The scheme of providing free CFL bulbs was launched with an objective of promoting power-saving, a state government release here said.
In the first phase of the Rs 8.77 crore project launched today, Jayalalithaa gave away one nine-watt CFL bulb to seven persons each marking its roll out, the release said, adding the initiative will help the government save about 40 mw.
A total of 14.62 lakh domestic consumers coming under the hut-dwellers category will benefit with seven lakh of them being covered under the first phase, it said.
The Chief Minister also inaugurated various sub-stations in the capacity of 230 kv, 110 kv and 33 kv, constructed in different parts of the state at an overall cost of Rs 509.88 crore through video conferencing, the release added.
Jayalalithaa also inaugurated a 60 kw solar power generating system at TANGEDCO`s head office here that would produce upto one lakh units per year. It would be helpful in meeting a part of the daily electricity demands of the state-run power generation company`s head office here, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India