TN launches free CFL bulb scheme to hut-dwellers
Chennai: Tamil Nadu government on Monday launched the first phase of providing free compact fluorescent light bulbs to over 14 lakh hut-dwellers in the state, an energy-saving measure aimed at saving 40 mw of power.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa also launched over Rs 500 crore worth of projects under the Energy Department through video conferencing from her camp office at Kodanadu in the Nilgiris district.
The scheme of providing free CFL bulbs was launched with an objective of promoting power-saving, a state government release here said.
In the first phase of the Rs 8.77 crore project launched today, Jayalalithaa gave away one nine-watt CFL bulb to seven persons each marking its roll out, the release said, adding the initiative will help the government save about 40 mw.
A total of 14.62 lakh domestic consumers coming under the hut-dwellers category will benefit with seven lakh of them being covered under the first phase, it said.
The Chief Minister also inaugurated various sub-stations in the capacity of 230 kv, 110 kv and 33 kv, constructed in different parts of the state at an overall cost of Rs 509.88 crore through video conferencing, the release added.
Jayalalithaa also inaugurated a 60 kw solar power generating system at TANGEDCO`s head office here that would produce upto one lakh units per year. It would be helpful in meeting a part of the daily electricity demands of the state-run power generation company`s head office here, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan