TN: Left leaders to protest opening of Wal-Mart store
Chennai: As part of their protest against the Centre`s decision to allow foreign direct investments in multi-brand retail, Left parties and traders in Tamil Nadu would lay a siege on Wednesday in front of the proposed office of Wal-mart here.
Senior party leaders of CPI(M) and CPI, farmers, labourers and traders would lay a siege in front of the proposed Wal-mart office, which was expected to come in Anna Nagar, CPI(M) State Secretary G Ramakrishnan said.
"Tamil Nadu government should take concrete measures that Wal-mart does not set shop in any part of the State. Urging the State government in this regard, we will lay a siege in front of the proposed Wal-mart office on December 26", he said in a statement earlier.
Referring to the alleged farmer suicides in Tamil Nadu, he said Rs 10 lakh should be given as compensation.
The Central government should send an expert committee to prepare a report on drought affected places in Tamil Nadu, he said.
Demanding the Centre to give a compensation of Rs 25,000 per acre to farmers whose crops were damaged, he said Rs 10,000 should be given to the families of the farmers who lost their jobs.
He said Centre should immediately notify the final award of the Cauvery Water Tribunal in the gazette.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed