TN: Major haul of explosives; five arrested
Namakkal: In a major haul, police on Wednesday seized 100 gelatin sticks and 77 detonators from a house near here and five persons, including four of a family, were arrested in this connection.
Namakkal District Superintendent of Police P Kannamma said they raided the house at Janam Elampillai, 35 km from here, after an adjacent house belonging to the family was damaged when some gelatin sticks stored there exploded last night, injuring a four-year-old boy.
Ramalingam, a fisherman, and his wife Sarasuvathy used to catch fish in the Cauvery river and had stocked the explosives for using them for trapping the fish, police said.
Last night, ten gelatin sticks and an equal number of detonators kept in the kitchen of their adjacent house exploded, injuring Sarasuvathy`s grandson.
The arrested included Sarasuvathy`s in-laws and the seller of the explosives.
The five, arrested under the Explosives Act, have been remanded in judicial custody and lodged in the Salem central prison, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh arrives in Kashmir, meets civil society delegation
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Sushma Swaraj lashes out at Nawaz Sharif, says Pakistan will never succeed in making Kashmir a 'terror hell'
- Rajnath begins Kashmir visit, curfew lifted in parts of Valley
- Hungarian Grand Prix: Nico Rosberg trumps Lewis Hamilton in Hungaroring chaos
- Scientists produce rare wood bison calves through IVF
- Munich pulls together after shopping mall shooting