TN moves SC on Mullaperiyar dam
New Delhi: In what may further intensify the political battle between Kerala and Tamil Nadu on the Mullaperiyar dam issue, the Jayalalithaa government on Thursday moved the Supreme Court seeking its urgent intervention over the dispute.
As per reports, the Tamil Nadu government has moved a petition before the apex court requesting it to restrain Kerala from further blowing the issue for its vested interest.
The Tamil Nadu government alleged that the political establishment in Kerala was using its influence to create panic among the residence of Tamil Nadu and the areas surrounding the disputed dam.
It said that the false propaganda by the Kerala government was creating more confusion amongst the people and further complicating the issue.
Meanwhile, Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy today arrived in the national capital to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
He said he would once again take up the matter with the PM and added that he would write to Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa as well, explaining Kerala`s position on the Mullaperiyar dam.
The dam in Kerala`s Idukki district supplies water to Tamil Nadu.
Manmohan Singh is understood to have assured that a meeting of CMs of Tamil Nadu and Kerala would be arranged soon to discuss the contentious issue.
Tamil Nadu wants the dam`s storage capacity to be increased by raising the dam height - from 136 feet (41.5 m) to 142 feet (43 m) to meet the growing irrigation needs of the state.
Kerala, on the other hand, wants a new dam as it fears that a strong earthquake might damage the existing dam.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe