TN opposition leader files anticipatory bail
Chennai: DMDK founder and opposition leader in the Tamil Nadu Assembly Vijaykant on Tuesday filed an anticipatory bail plea in the Madras High Court in connection with the October 27 incident in the airport here, where a journalist was allegedly pushed down and abused by him.
The application is likely to come up for hearing tomorrow.
Vijayakant and some of his party supporters were involved in an altercation with journalists and a reporter was pushed down allegedly by one of his party MLAs when he persisted for a reaction on DMDK MLAs meeting Chief Minister Jayalalithaa.
Various journalists’ organisations, including the Madras Reporters` Guild and Chennai Press Club had condemned the incident.
The guild demanded an apology from Vijaykant, saying such "irresponsible behaviour" by the leader of the Opposition and his party MLAs was a challenge to the media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'