TN opposition leader files anticipatory bail
Chennai: DMDK founder and opposition leader in the Tamil Nadu Assembly Vijaykant on Tuesday filed an anticipatory bail plea in the Madras High Court in connection with the October 27 incident in the airport here, where a journalist was allegedly pushed down and abused by him.
The application is likely to come up for hearing tomorrow.
Vijayakant and some of his party supporters were involved in an altercation with journalists and a reporter was pushed down allegedly by one of his party MLAs when he persisted for a reaction on DMDK MLAs meeting Chief Minister Jayalalithaa.
Various journalists’ organisations, including the Madras Reporters` Guild and Chennai Press Club had condemned the incident.
The guild demanded an apology from Vijaykant, saying such "irresponsible behaviour" by the leader of the Opposition and his party MLAs was a challenge to the media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by 'VIPs' Rijiju, Fadnavis
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding