TN parties demand deferring of counting of votes
Chennai: Some parties in Tamil Nadu including
DMK have demanded postponement of counting of votes on October
17 to a later date of the Tiruchirappally (West) Assembly
bypoll scheduled for October 13, a top official the state
Election Commission said on Wednesday.
"We have written to the Election Commission saying parties
have demanded for postponing of counting of votes on October
17 as it coincides with the first phase of the civic polls,"
Chief Electoral Officer of the state, Praveen Kumar said.
Kumar said the EC would take the final call on it.
DMK and PMK among others have been demanding deferring of
counting, scheduled for October 17, which coincides with the
first phase of the civic polls, saying trends of the counting
could have a bearing on the voting pattern for local bodies.
The parties have insisted that counting of Tiruchirappally
(West) by-poll votes should not be taken up before October 19,
the final phase of the two-phase civic polls.
By-poll to this constituency was necessitated following the
death of AIADMK Minister Mariam Pichai in a road accident.
AIADMK`s M Paranjothi and DMK`s jailed former minister K N
Nehru among 15 others are in the fray for the by-poll.
Meanwhile, State Election Commission today wrote to Chief
Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi saying that the demand of
political parties had come up during an all party meeting
convened by it yesterday. It also recommended that the
counting may be done after October 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender