TN police seeks cancellation of bail granted to DM
Chennai: The Tamil Nadu police has sought cancellation of bail granted to a DMDK MLA, arrested for alleged land grabbing, on the ground that grant of bail was not based on material particulars.
When the petition filed by Tiruvallur district DSP P Vaithilingam came up today, Justice M M Sundresh ordered issue of notice to the MLA, Arun Subramaniam, returnable in two weeks.
The DSP said the Tirutanni Legislator was arrested on July 18 based on a complaint by the Commissioner in-charge of Tiruvallur Municipality, K Parthasarathy, along with a report of one Prabu, founder of Irular Munnetra Sangam.
He was remanded to judicial custody.
Subramaniam had allegedly encroached upon a public road and constructed a godown. The road linked the Irular Colony to Cooum river at Varadharajapuram.
Tiruvallur Principal Sessions Judge granted him bail the next day, stating that a civil suit was pending for the same subject matter and the MLA had to participate in the July 19 Presidential election.
The police official said that on scrutiny, it came to light that no civil suit was pending. Besides, DMDK legislators had abstained from casting their votes to elect the President, he said and sought cacellation of the bail on the ground that sufficient opportunity had not been given to the prosecution to verify material particulars. Besides, investigation was at a nascent stage, he contended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Anamika Khanna weaves romance at India Couture Week
- Blue hues to die for! Sonakshi Sinha is basking under Maldives sun- See pic
- Types of HIV carried by chimps can infect humans: Study
- NASA’s SDO captures bursts of solar material from the Sun- Watch
- Watch: Videos show German-Iranian gunman going on rampage in Munich