TN police seeks cancellation of bail granted to DM
Chennai: The Tamil Nadu police has sought cancellation of bail granted to a DMDK MLA, arrested for alleged land grabbing, on the ground that grant of bail was not based on material particulars.
When the petition filed by Tiruvallur district DSP P Vaithilingam came up today, Justice M M Sundresh ordered issue of notice to the MLA, Arun Subramaniam, returnable in two weeks.
The DSP said the Tirutanni Legislator was arrested on July 18 based on a complaint by the Commissioner in-charge of Tiruvallur Municipality, K Parthasarathy, along with a report of one Prabu, founder of Irular Munnetra Sangam.
He was remanded to judicial custody.
Subramaniam had allegedly encroached upon a public road and constructed a godown. The road linked the Irular Colony to Cooum river at Varadharajapuram.
Tiruvallur Principal Sessions Judge granted him bail the next day, stating that a civil suit was pending for the same subject matter and the MLA had to participate in the July 19 Presidential election.
The police official said that on scrutiny, it came to light that no civil suit was pending. Besides, DMDK legislators had abstained from casting their votes to elect the President, he said and sought cacellation of the bail on the ground that sufficient opportunity had not been given to the prosecution to verify material particulars. Besides, investigation was at a nascent stage, he contended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi