TN police to review designing of sleeper bus coach
Kanchipuram: Forensic research would be conducted on debris of the private bus which met with an accident in Vellore on Tuesday, killing 23 people, and recommendations will be made to the government on designing of passenger coaches to prevent them from becoming "death traps", a senior police official said.
Sailendrababu, IGP North Zone, Chennai, told reporters yesterday after an inspection of the debris at Kaveripakkam that when the bus, which was a sleeper coach, overturned, the
berths jammed the entry doors.
Besides, the escapes provided for passengers had to be leveraged by the driver, who in this case had escaped first and left no chance for the passengers to fight their way out,
He added that the breaking of the diesel tank as well as damage to the AC unit caused the bus to burst.
Asked whether there were any norms about vehicles having two doors to enable easy exit, Babu said it "needs to be looked into."
The IGP said one of the drivers of the two lorries that were involved in the accident had been arrested, while another was undergoing treatment in a hospital. PTI
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal