TN police to review designing of sleeper bus coach
Kanchipuram: Forensic research would be conducted on debris of the private bus which met with an accident in Vellore on Tuesday, killing 23 people, and recommendations will be made to the government on designing of passenger coaches to prevent them from becoming "death traps", a senior police official said.
Sailendrababu, IGP North Zone, Chennai, told reporters yesterday after an inspection of the debris at Kaveripakkam that when the bus, which was a sleeper coach, overturned, the
berths jammed the entry doors.
Besides, the escapes provided for passengers had to be leveraged by the driver, who in this case had escaped first and left no chance for the passengers to fight their way out,
He added that the breaking of the diesel tank as well as damage to the AC unit caused the bus to burst.
Asked whether there were any norms about vehicles having two doors to enable easy exit, Babu said it "needs to be looked into."
The IGP said one of the drivers of the two lorries that were involved in the accident had been arrested, while another was undergoing treatment in a hospital. PTI
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- This is how Dr APJ Abdul Kalam looked when he was a kid!
- Govt reviews porn ban order, blocks only child pornography-related websites
- 'Idiots are lined up at every step': Young IAS officer's fight against sexual harassment
- Which Kapoor does Katrina like the most besides beau Ranbir?