TN polls: DMK to sue AIADMK mouthpiece over report
Chennai: Continuing their post-Assembly poll
battle ahead of the May 13 counting of votes in Tamil Nadu,
the ruling DMK on Wednesday said it would sue its rival AIADMK`s
mouthpiece for carrying a report "intended at creating panic"
among people and the election staff.
Extending their fight even after the April 13
Assembly polls, AIADMK and DMK have been filing complaints and
counter-complaints against each other and knocking the
Election Commission`s door for different reasons and
threatening legal cases against each other.
In the latest instance, Chief Minister Karunanidhi is
peeved over a report in AIADMK`s publication `Namadu MGR` (Our
MGR) named after the charismatic party founder M G
Ramachandran, and founded by party chief Jayalalithaa.
The `Namadu MGR` report claimed that a police official
had held a meeting at the DGP`s office on how to help DMK in
the event of its facing "some problems" on counting day,
without elaborating, and that the "EC was shocked" over it.
The report had said that the EC was in the process of
finding out the truth about such a meeting, Karunanidhi said
in a release.
"This (report) is completely contradictory to truth. It
has been carried with the intention of diverting people`s
attention and confusing them, besides creating panic among
counting officials. It has been decided to take legal action
against the daily and those involved," he said.
Karunanidhi, who has been constantly taking potshots at
the EC, including calling for the clipping of its powers, said
that if the Commission had some information about the meeting,
he expected it to come out with it.
"If the report is not true, then I expect the EC to take
action against those involved and the people of the state also
have similar expectations," he said.
The government had last week filed defamation cases
against four senior AIADMK leaders including former Chief
Minister O Panneerselvam for alleging that attempts were being
made to destroy files and describing it as a "caretaker"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city