TN polls: DMK to sue AIADMK mouthpiece over report
Chennai: Continuing their post-Assembly poll
battle ahead of the May 13 counting of votes in Tamil Nadu,
the ruling DMK on Wednesday said it would sue its rival AIADMK`s
mouthpiece for carrying a report "intended at creating panic"
among people and the election staff.
Extending their fight even after the April 13
Assembly polls, AIADMK and DMK have been filing complaints and
counter-complaints against each other and knocking the
Election Commission`s door for different reasons and
threatening legal cases against each other.
In the latest instance, Chief Minister Karunanidhi is
peeved over a report in AIADMK`s publication `Namadu MGR` (Our
MGR) named after the charismatic party founder M G
Ramachandran, and founded by party chief Jayalalithaa.
The `Namadu MGR` report claimed that a police official
had held a meeting at the DGP`s office on how to help DMK in
the event of its facing "some problems" on counting day,
without elaborating, and that the "EC was shocked" over it.
The report had said that the EC was in the process of
finding out the truth about such a meeting, Karunanidhi said
in a release.
"This (report) is completely contradictory to truth. It
has been carried with the intention of diverting people`s
attention and confusing them, besides creating panic among
counting officials. It has been decided to take legal action
against the daily and those involved," he said.
Karunanidhi, who has been constantly taking potshots at
the EC, including calling for the clipping of its powers, said
that if the Commission had some information about the meeting,
he expected it to come out with it.
"If the report is not true, then I expect the EC to take
action against those involved and the people of the state also
have similar expectations," he said.
The government had last week filed defamation cases
against four senior AIADMK leaders including former Chief
Minister O Panneerselvam for alleging that attempts were being
made to destroy files and describing it as a "caretaker"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA