TN: Rape victim to contest for village prez post
Dharmapuri: To wipe out the bad name brought
to Vachathi village by atrocities committed on tribals by
officials nearly two decades ago, a woman rape victim has
decided to contest for the village president post.
The 36 year old woman will contest from P Thathampatti,
which comprises Vachathi, Mallakuttai, Malagappadi, T Pudur
and Kookudappatti hamelts.
Soon after the Sept 29 special court verdict sentencing 215
men from police, forest and revenue department to jail terms
ranging from one to 10 years for atrocities on tribals during
a raid for smuggled sandalwood on the village, villagers
unanimously decided to field her to the post.
A total of about 4,800 electorate would cast their votes
for the poll, in which three more ladies from P Thatahampatti
village in the fray.
Harur CPI(M) MLA P Dillybabu said rape victims are
campaigning in villages which come under P Thathampatti
panchayat to gather support for the woman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?