TN: Rape victim to contest for village prez post
Dharmapuri: To wipe out the bad name brought
to Vachathi village by atrocities committed on tribals by
officials nearly two decades ago, a woman rape victim has
decided to contest for the village president post.
The 36 year old woman will contest from P Thathampatti,
which comprises Vachathi, Mallakuttai, Malagappadi, T Pudur
and Kookudappatti hamelts.
Soon after the Sept 29 special court verdict sentencing 215
men from police, forest and revenue department to jail terms
ranging from one to 10 years for atrocities on tribals during
a raid for smuggled sandalwood on the village, villagers
unanimously decided to field her to the post.
A total of about 4,800 electorate would cast their votes
for the poll, in which three more ladies from P Thatahampatti
village in the fray.
Harur CPI(M) MLA P Dillybabu said rape victims are
campaigning in villages which come under P Thathampatti
panchayat to gather support for the woman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video