TN: Resolution adopted to rein in Colombo
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Assembly on Wednesday adopted a
unanimous resolution seeking imposition of economic sanctions
on Sri Lanka by India to "rein in" Colombo on the Tamils issue
and pressing for speedy rehabilitation of displaced Tamils.
The resolution moved by Chief Minister Jayalalithaa said
a UN appointed committee had pointed out alleged excesses
committed during the conflict between the armed forces and
LTTE, including bombing civilian areas and hospitals.
Preventing humanitarian aid, committing human rights
violations on internally displaced (Tamils) and suspected LTTE
members were some of the excesses, Jayalalithaa said.
India should press the UN to declare as "war criminals
those who had committed such alleged excesses," she said.
"For the return of Tamils lodged in camps to their native
places and to ensure equal rights for dignified living on par
with the (majority) Sinhala, India with other countries
should jointly impose economic sanctions on Sri Lankan
government," she said.
Only this will rein in the island government and "if India
and other countries impose sanctions, Sri Lanka has to listen
to what we say," she said.
Jayalalithaa alleged that Tamils had been struggling
against being treated as `second class citizens,` in their own
country even after Sri Lanka got independence from British.
Economic sanctions were a `temporary measure,` as that
would make Sri Lanka do what `we say` in short term, she said,
adding, the demand was being made as `we have no other go.`
DMK and Congress spoke on the resolution but before
Jayalalithaa gave her reply, walked out after opposition
leader Vijayakanth made some remark against DMK.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Plea seeks imposition of Governor's rule in J&K; SC to hear matter next week
- Asthma breakthrough? Scientists find novel way to prevent the disease!
- 'Madaari' movie review: Irrfan Khan displays brilliance in this thought provoking tale
- Thai cops question UK journalist`s wife over `royal insult`
- Pokemon Go debuts in the country where Pokemon was born!