TN: School, college students boycott classes
Chennai: Around 9000 school and college
students boycotted classes in Tamil Nadu on Friday in response to
a call given by DMK, pressing for immediate implementation of
Samacheer Kalvi or Uniform Sytem of School Education (USSE),
Students boycotted classes in eight districts including
Chennai, Vellore, Tirunelveli and Dindigul districts, they
Around 1500 DMK workers were taken into custody for
staging protests outside schools in the respective districts.
A DMK release also said scores of its party workers were held
in different districts in connection with the protests.
In Coimbatore, workers of DMK, Congress and Periyar
Dravida Kazhakam, staged demonstrations in front of various
schools in the city, in protest against non-implementation of
USSE. However, there were no reports of students boycotting
classes or untoward incidents, police said.
The DMK-introduced USSE is caught in a legal tangle
following AIADMK government`s reluctance to continue with
it citing lack of quality.
The Supreme court, looking into a case in this regard,
had refused to endorse changes made by it in Tamil Nadu
Uniform System of School Education (Amendment) Act, 2011 to
stop enforcement of the scheme.
The apex court had refused the plea of the Jayalalithaa
government to stay a Madras High Court order quashing
amendment by it to the Act aimed at scrapping DMK
government-approved school course curriculum.
DMK chief M Karunanidhi had backed his party`s call for
today`s protest, saying it was a "peaceful" one in accordance
with the preaching of his party`s founder, the late C N
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal