TN: School, college students boycott classes
Chennai: Around 9000 school and college
students boycotted classes in Tamil Nadu on Friday in response to
a call given by DMK, pressing for immediate implementation of
Samacheer Kalvi or Uniform Sytem of School Education (USSE),
Students boycotted classes in eight districts including
Chennai, Vellore, Tirunelveli and Dindigul districts, they
Around 1500 DMK workers were taken into custody for
staging protests outside schools in the respective districts.
A DMK release also said scores of its party workers were held
in different districts in connection with the protests.
In Coimbatore, workers of DMK, Congress and Periyar
Dravida Kazhakam, staged demonstrations in front of various
schools in the city, in protest against non-implementation of
USSE. However, there were no reports of students boycotting
classes or untoward incidents, police said.
The DMK-introduced USSE is caught in a legal tangle
following AIADMK government`s reluctance to continue with
it citing lack of quality.
The Supreme court, looking into a case in this regard,
had refused to endorse changes made by it in Tamil Nadu
Uniform System of School Education (Amendment) Act, 2011 to
stop enforcement of the scheme.
The apex court had refused the plea of the Jayalalithaa
government to stay a Madras High Court order quashing
amendment by it to the Act aimed at scrapping DMK
government-approved school course curriculum.
DMK chief M Karunanidhi had backed his party`s call for
today`s protest, saying it was a "peaceful" one in accordance
with the preaching of his party`s founder, the late C N
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says