TN: Senior IPS officer remanded to CBI custody
Coimbatore: Pramod Kumar, a senior IPS officer of Tamil Nadu, arrested for allegedly entering into a criminal conspiracy to get a bribe of nearly Rs 10 crore from a private firm accused of duping general public of Rs 829 crore, was today remanded to CBI custody for five days.
Kumar, presently Inspector General, Armed forces and on medical leave, was arrested in Delhi yesterday. He was produced before a judge here who sent him to a transit remand.
He was brought here this morning and produced before CBI court judge Ramaswamy.
Earlier, CBI had sought his custody, which Kumar`s counsel opposed, saying there was no need for it as the agency had already questioned him for over seven hours.
The counsel also pleaded that Kumar be lodged in prison in Chennai and not in Coimbatore as he is facing `some threat`.
After hearing the arguments from both sides, the judge remanded Kumar to CBI custody for five days.
Meanwhile Kumar was taken to Coimbatore Medical College Hospital before being brought to court after complaining of not feeling well. He underwent a series of tests and was later brought to court.
Kumar(46), a 1989-batch IPS officer, has been on the run for many months. His anticipatory bail plea was rejected by Madras High Court on April 20.
The case was first cracked by Crime Branch of Tamil Nadu Police when they arrested an inspector who had allegedly carried the bribe money for Kumar.
The case was handed over to CBI on orders of Madras High Court after which the agency filed two cases. The first was against directors of Pazee Forex K Mohanraj, Kathiravan and A Kamalavalli for allegedly cheating investors of Rs 829 crore of promised returns and dividends.
The second case arose after Kamalavalli allegedly went missing on Dec 8, 2009 alleging harassment by police.
CBI sources had said the probe revealed that Pramod Kumar, then IG (West Zone) had allegedly demanded Rs 10 crore from the accused directors through the Investigating officer who is claimed to have been handpicked by him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow