TN temple priest among those killed in Nepal plane
Kumbakonam (TN): A pall of gloom descended on the house of LS Sudarsanam, a temple priest here after reports of his death in the plane crash at Nepal came in.
Sudarsanam was the priest of three temples here, his family said.
He had gone on a pilgrimage ten days ago as part of a 50-strong team headed by Thirukottiur Madhavan Swami, his brother Soundararaja said.
The members had taken three different flights to visit Muktinath, a famous Hindu pilgrimage centre, and the one carrying Sudarsanam had crashed, he said.
Members of the team which had gone on pilgrimage had informed them about his death.
Sudarsanam is survived by wife, son and daughter.
The body will be brought to Chennai tomorrow, he added.
Thirteen Indian pilgrims were among 15 persons killed today when a small plane with 21 people onboard crashed in northern Nepal after hitting a hill top while attempting to land at a high-altitude airport.
Six others, including three Indians and two Danish nationals, miraculously survived the crash of the Dornier 9N AIG aircraft belonging to private carrier Agni Air.
The plane, which flew from the resort town of Pokhara on its way to Jomsom, crashed at 9.30 AM local time while landing at the mountain airstrip, said an official at the Rescue Coordination Committee of Tribhuvan International Airport.
The passengers had chartered the flight to take them from the central tourist hub of Pokhara to Muktinath, a famous Hindu pilgrimage in Jomsom near Tibetan border at the foot of the Thorong La Himalayan mountain pass, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer