TN: Three-year old boy rescued from 600-ft deep borewell
Krishnagiri: A three-year old boy accidentally fell into a 600-feet deep open borewell near here on Sunday but was rescued by fire service personnel after a four-hour operation.
The boy, Guna, was playing with his sister on farm land owned by his father Anandan in Kummalathur village when he fell into the borewell dug for
agricultural purposes at around 11 am, police said.
Anandan had left the borewell open as he failed to get water, sources said.
Police, Revenue and Fire service personnel rushed to the spot and Fire department personnel led by Krishnagiri Divisional Officer M Dakshinamurthy commenced rescue operations with the help of two hydraulic excavators.
Denkanikotta Tahsildar Chithra said the boy was trapped at a depth of 30 feet inside the borewell.
After confirming it, she said, the rescue personnel dug another parallel pit to a depth of 50 feet, a metre from the borewell, and pulled out the boy with the help of a rope.
The boy suffered minor injuries, she said, adding, a medical team led by Dr G Rajkumar from Denkanikottai Government hospital provided him first aid.
Later, the boy was taken to Hosur government hospital Hosur for further treatment.
More than 20 fire fighting personnel were involved in the rescue operation.
Krishnagiri district Collector C N Maheswaran, who visited the boy at the hospital, told reporters that revenue department and other officials had taken timely action to rescue the child. He said people who dug borewells should immediately cover it with proper installations to avoid such incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa