TN to continue fight for Cauvery water share
Chennai: With the Centre convening the first meeting of the Supervisory Committee over the implementation of
the final award of the Cauvery Disputes Tribunal, Tamil Nadu government Friday said it will press for its due share of water from the river as stipulated in the Final Order.
Chief Secretary Sheela Balakrishnan said a petition was filed in Supreme Court on March 18 seeking to direct government of India to constitute the Cauvery Management Board and the Cauvery Water Management Committee to safeguard the interests of the farmers of Tamil Nadu.
"The Supreme Court in its order on May 10, while recording the submission of the Additional Solicitor General that the follow up action pursuant to the notification of the Final Order of the Tribunal dated February 19 is under active consideration of the Central Government, has ordered for the constitution of a Supervisory Committee, as pro tem measure, for the purpose of ensuring the implementation of the Final Order of the Tribunal" she said in a statement.
Under the Chairmanship of the Union Water Resources Secretary, and consisting of Chief Secretaries of the Cauvery Basin States, the meeting will be held on June 1 following the state`s demand in this regard she said while recalling that Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa had urged Centre on May 17 for the constitution of the Cauvery Management Board and the Cauvery Water Regulation Committee without any further delay.
On instructions from the Chief Minister, she requested the Secretary, Ministry of Water Resources to convene the first meeting of the Supervisory Committee to decide the flows as prescribed in the Final Order of the Tribunal, following the notification of the Final Order.
"The Government of India acceding to the request of Government of Tamil Nadu has intimated that the first meeting of the Supervisory Committee will be held in the Ministry of Water Resources, New Delhi on 1st June at 10.30 am.... Tamil Nadu will press for its due share of Cauvery water as stipulated in the Final Order of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand