TN to look into dhoti incident after opposition raises issue
Chennai: Days after a sitting Madras High Court Judge was denied entry into a club here for wearing a dhoti- the state`s traditional attire, Tamil Nadu government on Monday said it would look into the issue and take action in consultation with its Law Department.
Soon after question hour in the Assembly, Speaker P Dhanapal permitted the Opposition parties` attempt to bring to government`s notice the July 11 incident at Chepauk here and demanded that action be taken against such clubs, which banned the state`s culture symbol of dhoti inside their premises.
DMDK`s whip VC Chandrakumar, DMK Floor Leader MK Stalin, CPI (M) Floor Leader Soundararajan, CPI`s Legislative Party leader Arumugam, Congress` CR Gopinath, PMK`s Ganeshkumar, MMK`s Aslam Basha and others raised the issue.
Replying to the matter, School Education Minister KC Veeramani said such clubs were registered under Societies Act and have been functioning with their own bye-laws.
"The government would look into the issue and consult with the Law Department and take the issue to the Chief Minister and would consider action," he said.
The denial of entry to Madras High Court Judge, Justice D Hariparanthaman into the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association Club for wearing dhoti, has triggered a controversy with several parties like DMK and the Congress condemning it.
When he alighted from his official car at the club premises to participate in a book release function, organised by TS Arunachalam, a former Chief Justice of the High Court, some staff of the club told him that he could not enter wearing dhoti as they had instructions from the office-bearers not to allow anyone in the premises who violated the club`s dress code.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof