TN to open canteens for police on par with CSDs
Chennai: Placing the state police on similar
lines with that of military personnel, Tamil Nadu Chief
Minister Jayalalithaa on Saturday announced setting up of canteens
to sell goods to police personnel at subsidised rates.
"Military personnel defend the country from foreign
enemies, while the police guard the country and people from
anti-social elements. Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has ordered
to open canteens for police personnel, like canteens for
military personnel," an official release said.
These canteens will function similar to the CSDs (Canteen
Store Department) available for the armed forces personnel,
and will sell goods without applying Value Added Tax (VAT).
These canteens will initially be opened in three places -
Tamil Nadu Special Police Regimental Centre at Avadi, Tamil
Nadu Special Police I Battalion in Tiruchirapalli and Tamil
Nadu Special Police VI Battalion in Madurai at a cost of Rs 1
crore, it said.
Police personnel, retired police personnel and their
families and families of deceased policemen will benefit from
these canteens, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal