TN to seek Rs 19,665 cr compensation for losses in drought
Chennai: Tamil Nadu government on Friday decided to submit a memorandum to the Centre, seeking Rs 19,665 crore compensation for the losses it suffered on account of drought.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, making a suo motu statement in the Assembly, said the memorandum would be sent immediately with various components, including a compensation of Rs 9286.20 crore towards damage suffered by the agriculture sector and losses by TANGEDCO (Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation) to the tune of Rs 2661.32 crore.
The Chief Minister also announced Rs 1754.86 crore relief package to non-Cauvery Delta districts on the lines of one given to Delta districts in February this year.
Today`s relief package covers crop-loss sustained by farmers in these districts, besides employment guarantee scheme, the MGNREGA, she said.
The state government has already announced 31 of the 32 districts, except Chennai, as drought-hit following failure of North East and South West Monsoons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery