TN to seek Rs 19,665 cr compensation for losses in drought
Chennai: Tamil Nadu government on Friday decided to submit a memorandum to the Centre, seeking Rs 19,665 crore compensation for the losses it suffered on account of drought.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, making a suo motu statement in the Assembly, said the memorandum would be sent immediately with various components, including a compensation of Rs 9286.20 crore towards damage suffered by the agriculture sector and losses by TANGEDCO (Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation) to the tune of Rs 2661.32 crore.
The Chief Minister also announced Rs 1754.86 crore relief package to non-Cauvery Delta districts on the lines of one given to Delta districts in February this year.
Today`s relief package covers crop-loss sustained by farmers in these districts, besides employment guarantee scheme, the MGNREGA, she said.
The state government has already announced 31 of the 32 districts, except Chennai, as drought-hit following failure of North East and South West Monsoons.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know