TN to seek Rs 19,665 cr compensation for losses in drought
Chennai: Tamil Nadu government on Friday decided to submit a memorandum to the Centre, seeking Rs 19,665 crore compensation for the losses it suffered on account of drought.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, making a suo motu statement in the Assembly, said the memorandum would be sent immediately with various components, including a compensation of Rs 9286.20 crore towards damage suffered by the agriculture sector and losses by TANGEDCO (Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation) to the tune of Rs 2661.32 crore.
The Chief Minister also announced Rs 1754.86 crore relief package to non-Cauvery Delta districts on the lines of one given to Delta districts in February this year.
Today`s relief package covers crop-loss sustained by farmers in these districts, besides employment guarantee scheme, the MGNREGA, she said.
The state government has already announced 31 of the 32 districts, except Chennai, as drought-hit following failure of North East and South West Monsoons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof