TN to set up 5th reservoir to cater to Chennai`s water needs
Chennai: As part of its efforts to meet the drinking water requirements of Chennai, the Tamil Nadu government has set in motion works to set up a fifth reservoir that would supply water to the city.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa laid the foundation stone for the Rs 330 crore project involving linking of two lakes in Kannankottai and Thervoykandigai villages in neighbouring Tiruvallur district on Wednesday.
The Chief Minister had made an announcement in this regard last year, envisaging linking the two lakes to create a reservoir with a storage capacity of one tmcft.
"A total of 1000 mcft (one tmcft) of water could be stored in this reservoir by filling it up twice a year. This (effort) will pave way for supplying drinking water to Chennai city and its suburbs," a government release said on Thursday.
The reservoir will be used to store water received from the Krishna river in Andhra Pradesh under an agreement with that state besides the rainwater received during monsoon seasons.
While proposing the project last year, government had said it was necessitated in the wake of expanding boundaries of Chennai and drinking water requirements within.
Reservoirs at Poondi, Cholavaram, Redhills and Chembarambakkam presently cater to the city`s drinking water requirements.
Meanwhile, in a separate release, Jayalalithaa announced releasing water from Amaravathy Dam for irrigation purpose, which, she said, will benefit 47,117 acres in Tirupur and Karur districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM