TN to set up 5th reservoir to cater to Chennai`s water needs
Chennai: As part of its efforts to meet the drinking water requirements of Chennai, the Tamil Nadu government has set in motion works to set up a fifth reservoir that would supply water to the city.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa laid the foundation stone for the Rs 330 crore project involving linking of two lakes in Kannankottai and Thervoykandigai villages in neighbouring Tiruvallur district on Wednesday.
The Chief Minister had made an announcement in this regard last year, envisaging linking the two lakes to create a reservoir with a storage capacity of one tmcft.
"A total of 1000 mcft (one tmcft) of water could be stored in this reservoir by filling it up twice a year. This (effort) will pave way for supplying drinking water to Chennai city and its suburbs," a government release said on Thursday.
The reservoir will be used to store water received from the Krishna river in Andhra Pradesh under an agreement with that state besides the rainwater received during monsoon seasons.
While proposing the project last year, government had said it was necessitated in the wake of expanding boundaries of Chennai and drinking water requirements within.
Reservoirs at Poondi, Cholavaram, Redhills and Chembarambakkam presently cater to the city`s drinking water requirements.
Meanwhile, in a separate release, Jayalalithaa announced releasing water from Amaravathy Dam for irrigation purpose, which, she said, will benefit 47,117 acres in Tirupur and Karur districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!