TN traders threat to stage rail roko on Dec 4, 5 on FDI
Chennai: Seeking to step up pressure on the Centre over its decision to allow FDI in multi-brand retail, traders in Tamil Nadu on Saturday threatened to stage a rail-roko agitation on December four and five when the issue will be discussed in Parliament.
A decision to this effect was taken at a meeting organised by the Confederation of All India Traders here.
CAIT National Vice-President A M Vikkramaraja said Dec 4 and 5 would be observed as "foreign direct investment protest days as the decision will largely affect traders families".
He said traders wearing black shirts and badges would conduct several agitations and rallies across the state and also stage a rail-roko as part of their protest.
He said they would also lay siege to the residences of parliamentarians in Tamil Nadu who have extended support to the UPA Government`s decision.
"Even if a resolution was passed in Parliament on the decision, the traders will further intensify their agitation. Traders will not accept foreign investments at any cost", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise