TN traders threat to stage rail roko on Dec 4, 5 on FDI
Chennai: Seeking to step up pressure on the Centre over its decision to allow FDI in multi-brand retail, traders in Tamil Nadu on Saturday threatened to stage a rail-roko agitation on December four and five when the issue will be discussed in Parliament.
A decision to this effect was taken at a meeting organised by the Confederation of All India Traders here.
CAIT National Vice-President A M Vikkramaraja said Dec 4 and 5 would be observed as "foreign direct investment protest days as the decision will largely affect traders families".
He said traders wearing black shirts and badges would conduct several agitations and rallies across the state and also stage a rail-roko as part of their protest.
He said they would also lay siege to the residences of parliamentarians in Tamil Nadu who have extended support to the UPA Government`s decision.
"Even if a resolution was passed in Parliament on the decision, the traders will further intensify their agitation. Traders will not accept foreign investments at any cost", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report