TN: Vasan appeals to anti-Nuke protesters to call off stir
Chennai: Highlighting the power crisis in Tamil Nadu, Shipping Minister GK Vasan on Saturday appealed to anti-nuclear activists to give up their stir and allow commissioning of the controversial Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant.
"Power shortage (in Tamil Nadu) has largely affected all sections of the people, especially, micro small and medium enterprises besides, weavers, farmers and students. To put a full stop to this issue, power generation from Kudankulam Nuclear Plant should be made available without any further delay", he told reporters here.
Noting that production of power at the plant was the only solution for a power starved Tamil Nadu, he said the protesters should realise this and give up their agitation.
"I request the protesters to give up their agitation in order to bring back Tamil Nadu from darkness to light. I wish to state that the safety of the locals are well taken care of", he said.
The first unit of the Indo-Russian project in Tirunelveli district was scheduled to be commissioned in December last year but had been delayed due to protests by locals citing safety concerns.
On the Cauvery water dispute between Tamil Nadu and Karnataka, Vasan flayed the Jagadish Shettar-government for not releasing water, saying "it is not only against the principle of federalism but also ridiculing it".
"Unity in diversity is our pride. In order to protect it, I request the Government of Karnataka to release the water for the benefit of farmers in Tamil Nadu", he said.
Vasan was here to give away financial assistance to the families of deceased employees of Chennai Port Trust.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!