TN: Vasan appeals to anti-Nuke protesters to call off stir
Chennai: Highlighting the power crisis in Tamil Nadu, Shipping Minister GK Vasan on Saturday appealed to anti-nuclear activists to give up their stir and allow commissioning of the controversial Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant.
"Power shortage (in Tamil Nadu) has largely affected all sections of the people, especially, micro small and medium enterprises besides, weavers, farmers and students. To put a full stop to this issue, power generation from Kudankulam Nuclear Plant should be made available without any further delay", he told reporters here.
Noting that production of power at the plant was the only solution for a power starved Tamil Nadu, he said the protesters should realise this and give up their agitation.
"I request the protesters to give up their agitation in order to bring back Tamil Nadu from darkness to light. I wish to state that the safety of the locals are well taken care of", he said.
The first unit of the Indo-Russian project in Tirunelveli district was scheduled to be commissioned in December last year but had been delayed due to protests by locals citing safety concerns.
On the Cauvery water dispute between Tamil Nadu and Karnataka, Vasan flayed the Jagadish Shettar-government for not releasing water, saying "it is not only against the principle of federalism but also ridiculing it".
"Unity in diversity is our pride. In order to protect it, I request the Government of Karnataka to release the water for the benefit of farmers in Tamil Nadu", he said.
Vasan was here to give away financial assistance to the families of deceased employees of Chennai Port Trust.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak