TN: Vasan appeals to anti-Nuke protesters to call off stir
Chennai: Highlighting the power crisis in Tamil Nadu, Shipping Minister GK Vasan on Saturday appealed to anti-nuclear activists to give up their stir and allow commissioning of the controversial Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant.
"Power shortage (in Tamil Nadu) has largely affected all sections of the people, especially, micro small and medium enterprises besides, weavers, farmers and students. To put a full stop to this issue, power generation from Kudankulam Nuclear Plant should be made available without any further delay", he told reporters here.
Noting that production of power at the plant was the only solution for a power starved Tamil Nadu, he said the protesters should realise this and give up their agitation.
"I request the protesters to give up their agitation in order to bring back Tamil Nadu from darkness to light. I wish to state that the safety of the locals are well taken care of", he said.
The first unit of the Indo-Russian project in Tirunelveli district was scheduled to be commissioned in December last year but had been delayed due to protests by locals citing safety concerns.
On the Cauvery water dispute between Tamil Nadu and Karnataka, Vasan flayed the Jagadish Shettar-government for not releasing water, saying "it is not only against the principle of federalism but also ridiculing it".
"Unity in diversity is our pride. In order to protect it, I request the Government of Karnataka to release the water for the benefit of farmers in Tamil Nadu", he said.
Vasan was here to give away financial assistance to the families of deceased employees of Chennai Port Trust.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly