TN: Will Stalin be arrested in land grab case?
Chennai: A day after Tamil Nadu police registered a land grab case against former deputy chief minister MK Stalin and five others, the arrest of DMK chief M Karunanidhi’s son now looks eminent.
Reports, Friday, claimed that the FIR registered against Stalin has annoyed the DMK leadership and the party supporters, who allege that it has been done at the behest of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and AIADMK chief J Jayalalithaa.
Stalin has also sharply protested the development alleging that the case registered against him has been fabricated to divert attention from Jayalalithaa’s asset case.
“The FIR was filed to divert the attention from the disproportionate asset cases in Bangalore which are against Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa,” he told repoters.
However, he hit back by saying that he will face all allegations levelled against him and clear his name in the case. He also told reporters that he would not seek the court`s adjournment like Jayalalithaa is doing.
Senior DMK leader TKS Elangovan said, “It is a clear case of political vendetta.”
The case has been registered under various sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) against Stalin, Udayanidhi Stalin, Raja Shankar, Subba Reddy, Venugopal Reddy and Srinivas for threatening and coercing N Seshadrikumar to sell his house here to the family members of the former deputy chief minister.
Later, Tamil Nadu police issued a statement saying Srinivas threatened the tenants of Seshadrikumar to vacate the house and forced him to sell the property to Stalin’s family.
The property, measuring around 6,000 sq ft, was registered in the name of Venugopal Reddy, said to be Stalin`s associate, for Rs.5.54 crore -- less than the market price prevailing in 2010.
It is said that Stalin has been eyeing the land adjacent to his house for his daughter.
According to Seshadrikumar, police refused to accept his complaint against those who threatened him last year, when the DMK was in power.
This is among the numerous land grab and graft cases filed by the AIADMK government against leaders of the erstwhile DMK regime.
DMK Lok Sabha member JK Ritheesh Kumar was arrested Nov 16 on land grab charges in Chennai.
The state police have also arrested former ministers K.N. Nehru, Veerapandi Arumugam, NKKP Raja and K Ponmudi for land grab.
The former state ministers are now out on bail.
With PTI Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical